Mexican beansteaks


Well, if I carry on like that, I’m going to directly go from pescetarian to vegan!  Once again I’ve been tempted by a “Green me up” recipe: some delicious Mexican beansteaks, kind of “turned to Rose’s sauce” because I hadn’t handy everything I needed (and I must admit I’ve conscientiously avoided the ‘sweet pepper’ step – I wish you’ll forgive me :p).


My man, interested in eating this type of food sometimes (it seems I’m blessed according to what I can read in some messages :p) loved it, as I did! Those beautiful vegan steaks, which in appearance could somewhat remind of some famous Martha Stewart’s cookies, totally peaked at my palate. But it seems that Mister’s one haven’t even been titillated. Anyway, this difference of sensitivity to the strength of spices hadn’t interfered with our final opinion: so good :D
 

So, I won’t keep you waiting any longer, take your spices, let’s go! 

For 2 people, or 4 beansteaks:
  • 280g cooked kidney beans (in can, organic for me)
  • 1 small red onion (diced)
  • ½ garlic clove (sprout removed and thinly sliced)
  • 75g tomato paste
  • 1 big tsp mustard
  • ¼ tsp chili paste (that’s what is most spicy!)
  • 1 small tbs whole wheat flour
  • 1 big tsp paprika
  • 1 big tsp chili powder
  • A knife point of cumin
  • 1 big pinch of salt & some black pepper and pink peppercorn freshly grinded
  • 1 tsp cider vinegar
  • ¼ tsp bicarbonate!

Phew, that’s it! I think it’s the bigger ingredient list in this blog :p But if we look at it, we almost always have those ingredients at home :)


Kidney beans are already cooked in my case so the recipe is really quick: we just put all the ingredients into the blender … and, well, we blend ^^. 


A great blood-red color which is already intriguing!

Form steaks using your hands if you want to play (who, me?) but it could be doable using 2 tablespoons too if you’re in your squeamish days (who, me?) :D


Put everything on a baking tray covered by some parchment paper and slightly sprayed with a bit of olive oil.

COOKING

Cook in your oven for at least 30 minutes at 180°C.

TIPS AND TRICKS

A small tip to help you plan your time if you want to go ahead of the preparation: blend all the ingredients, excepted vinegar and bicarbonate and keep the bowl aside in your fridge. Then, at the last moment, when your oven is preheated, add to the dough the 2 magical ingredients which will give those nice cracks to your vegan steaks, and then blend one last time before cooking.


SERVING SUGGESTIONS

When I saw and smelt spices while I was cooking, I naturally found the side dish: green salad, cherry tomatoes and corn! And a piece of sesame and flaxseeds magical bread, as a bonus;)


Perfect for a light diner, the smoothness (or even “melting in your mouth” if I can say) of the steak and its thin “dry” external layer (that’s a compliment here!) are good by themselves. Nevertheless, someone fond of good food (I won’t give names) could add to those well warm steaks some cool double cream. It’s also the case to counterbalance spices with the totally neutral taste from the plain cream, but here, we stop talking vegan …


Two last words: do it!

Hélène: thanks!

Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment