100% vegan – 100% savory pumpkin butter



I know, it looks like I’ve missed the boat … but better late than never, right? I didn’t know about pumpkin butter before reading Hélène’s recipe. And I so love it. Really hard to stop eating some of it when comes the time to taste, just to adjust the seasoning, you know …  


For a huge pot of pumpkin butter:
  • A small pumpkin, about 1.3kg (I used ¾ of a 1.7kg Kabosha)
  • lemon
  • ½ orange
  • 30ml cider vinegar
  • 50ml maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • A bit of grated nutmeg (optional – I just used a tiny little bit of it)

First, we prepare the pumpkin:

Scrub it under water to clean it. Dry it and take your best knife! Cut the pumpkin into 4 pieces. Remove seeds and fibers and bake in the oven until the flesh gets tender. It took about 45 minutes at 190°C for me. 




Then, let the quarters of pumpkin cool down a bit, until you can handle them. Remove their skin and cut the flesh into pieces. 


Now, very simple: put all the ingredients into your food processor (pumpkin dices, freshly squeezed citrus fruits, cider vinegar, maple syrup, sugar, salt, grated nutmeg) and mix until you get a smooth puree. Taste (don’t eat all of it) and adjust the seasoning if needed. 



Hélène suggests to cook the puree 10 minutes, on a medium heat, which I was going to do. But, I loved it so much as it was that I skipped this step – I was too worried that cooking it would change the taste. 


Keep into the fridge, into a glass jar (up to 2 to 4 weeks according to the original recipe, if you do the 10 minutes cooking step – my jar won’t last 2 days :D).


TIPS AND TRICKS

You can add some grinded clove and/or cinnamon if you like those spices. 

SERVING SUGGESTIONS

You can do so many things with this pumpkin butter! 


You can spoon-feed you with it of course, as it was a compote – half of my jar disappeared this way. A slight sour taste due to the citrus fruits, with a pumpkin taste, a soft creamy texture. It’s really marvelous. 

I also served it with a THE chocolate cream dessert which I forgot to sweeten… Chocolate + pumpkin butter = it’s so delicious that I’m really going to cry!

Otherwise, I think I’m going to put some of it into my morning porridge tomorrow, it’s going to be sooooo good!

You can also spread it, dip some fruits in it. Well, this is a magical recipe. I would never have thought that I would be so delighted by a pumpkin. 


A huge thanks to Hélène for this great & surprising culinary discovery. 


Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment